I thought I would share my “secret” for pudding cupcakes. I’ve been making these for about six years and they were such a hit with Manfriend- as well as my college friends. I took a break from making them (for some really stupid reason) and decided to make them for our BBQ the other day. They were a hit.
When you tell people they are filled with cold pudding they tend to give you the “huh?” look. It is way easier than it sounds. You do not bake the cupcakes with pudding in them. I highly, highly suggest the Hershey’s cake recipe for your cupcakes; I’ve tried so many other chocolate cake recipes and this truly is the best. You can always use a box, too, which is what I did for our BBQ to save time.
- Cake mix (again, you can make your own or buy boxed mixes)
- Frosting (home made truly tastes best. I prefer cream cheese)
- Instant pudding
That is literally it. I like to make my cupcakes with chocolate cake and chocolate pudding and then top it off with cream cheese frosting, but I have tried it with vanilla pudding, I just like the chocolate pudding best.
1. Nothing fancy: make your cupcakes the way you normally would.
2. While your cupcakes are baking, prepare your pudding. You want it to be super cold.
3. After your cupcakes have cooled, cut out a square on the top of the cupcake and scoop out the guts. (you can save these to eat!)
4. Let your cupcakes cool completely. If you don’t, you will have a mess.
5. Scoop spoonfuls of pudding into the cupcake’s cavity. It’ll look like this:
6. Cover your cupcakes with frosting. (If you use chocolate pudding and then cover with white frosting, it will look a little messy. If you want them to look as clean as possible- I suggest using frosting and pudding that are the same color.)
7. Put your cupcakes in the refridgerator. You want to serve them cool so that the pudding is cold.
8. I don’t care if my cupcakes look messy because they taste amazing.
I usually don’t tell people the cupcakes have pudding in them; I like to see their reactions. These really are super cheap and easy to make. They are definite crowd pleasers and they take little to no skill to make.
I’m sort of craving these right now…