Normally, we make chimichangas the traditional way in my family. That means deep-fried deliciousness. For Manfriend’s birthday I decided not to deep-fry the chimis to cut down on the fat and calories. So, I baked them like a burrito.They turned out wonderful!
- peppers & onions
- black beans, canned
- cheeses (I use the Mexican blend)
- green chiles
- sour cream
- enchilada sauce
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the chicken in a 9×9 baking dish. Coat the chicken with diced green chiles. Pour about 1/4 inch of water into the dish (don’t cover the chicken). I think the water helps keep the chicken moist. Bake until cooked and then let it cool down.
3. While the chicken is baking, make guacamole and set aside. Begin caramelizing your onions and then add red, green and yellow peppers.
4. Now that the chicken has cooled a bit, begin shredding it with your fingers.
5. Fashion each tortilla with chicken, cheese, beans, and peppers and onions.Fold up (you can use toothpicks to keep them in place but don’t forget about them!)
6. Place them all in a baking dish. Pour enchilada sauce and a little cheese over them.
7. Cook at 350 degrees until a little crispy (about 30 minutes)
8. Garnish with sour cream, guacamole and a little enchilada sauce.
These are so delicious! You should definitely try them out!