We’ve been saying that we want to wait to purchase a home for another 3-5 years but within the last two weeks we decided that we are going to buy a home next year. This means that in 2011 we will be busy getting married, going to the Carribbean, celebrating Caleb’s one year birthday and buying a house…all within about 3 months! That is exhausting!
Since we have been renting the house we are in for the past 3 years we were told we could put an offer on it and buy it if we would like. Well, I don’t want to. While we do love this house (Manfriend especially) it has been nice to live here to find out what we really want in a house. I thought I would share some of my must-haves. (Manfriend can have his own). These are things our new house must have in order for me to be happy with it!
- Laundry on second floor: This is a necessity. Seriously, who’s bright idea was it to put a laundry room on a floor away from where closets and drawers are!? I love the idea that most new homes have grown privy to this idea and are now placing the utility room upstairs.
- 2 living/family rooms: Does this seem silly? It isn’t for us. Manfriend and I love spending time together but we also love doing our own things. I don’t want to watch sports or video games and I know Manfriend doesn’t want to watch HGTV or Bravo. We both really like the idea of one living space not having a television and the other being the movie/TV room.
- 3+ bedrooms: Since we have a baby on the way and we would like one more, we know we need at least three bedrooms. Four would be ideal for us since one could be the office.
- Attached garage: I only say this because we do not have an attached garage now and I know Manfriend would love this!
- 2+ bathrooms: Because one is just not enough!
- 2300+ square ft: We like our space. Seriously, we like our space.
- Large kitchen: We entertain a lot and we love having people over for BBQ’s, etc. A large kitchen is conducive to our lifestyle and since I am really starting to enjoy cooking, I would love all of the counter/cabinet space.
- Near a good school district: This is one of the biggest ones for me. Not just because I want our children going to a good school but because school districts are a prime indicator of how “safe” and area is. Schools are usually better because they receive more tax dollars and those tax dollars come from the community surrounding the schools. I could go off on how this a disservice to lower income regions but I’ll save that for the classroom.
- Yard: Since we have two dogs and spend a lot of time outside BBQ’n, playing badminton and growing vegetables, we need a fairly large yard. Nothing huge but we definitely need to be able to throw the ball far enough that our dog gets worn out!
- Not by airports! (Thanks Fai)
So while that may seem like a crazy list of demands, it is not. These are just a few of the things I think are a must and without these, the house is a dealbreaker. So we have about a year and then we will begin our house hunt. Looks like the last 2 years of my Journey to Thirty are going to be a whirlwind but I wouldn’t have it any other way!