One thing I could and would never live without is mascara. If you ask me which makeup item I would die without- it would be mascara. Blush makes you appear “awake”, foundation conceals, bronzer livens your skin, but mascara…mascara does all of that. Honestly. One thing I have (which we inherited from our father, creepy eh?) is long eyelashes. Throughout junior high I was embarrassed when people would ask “are your eyelashes real?”, but now I just smile and say “yes, thank you”.
1. I have a wide nose. No, not a wide nose. Wide nostrils. These have plagued me my whole life and I genuinely think about cosmetic surgery to fix them every once in a while. But I don’t want to run around with scars on my nostrils knowing they had to surgically remove a portion of my nostril to make it “look pretty”. The image to the left is a prime example of the Mrs. Potato Head that I like to call my nose…
2. My lips are tiny. I mean tiny. Especially my upper lip. It is something I dislike, but I have learned to love it because I like that my lips match my skin…weird, but oh well.
3. My face is plastered in freckles. I don’t dislike freckles, but if you combine my freckles with my monthly acne outbreaks, I end up looking like a pre-teen.
Add all of those up and it sounds like I have low self-esteem. I don’t; is that considered denial? Actually, I have learned to like all of the things I listed above, and here’s why:
I LOVE MY EYELASHES. I feel like my eyelashes are something that makes me special…and to be honest, my eyelashes distract from those other things that I feel less confident about. I have tried about a jillion different mascaras and I can tell you the ones I always recommend.
1. Dior DiorShow Mascara. This mascara is amazing and it does everything from lengthen, volumize and separate without looking creepy or Cruella DeVillesque. I always shop at Sephora, so you can find it here. This mascara is a bit pricey but it’s worth it. My only complaint about this mascara is that it runs out really fast, which I guess makes it less economical because you ending buying more mascara in the long run.
2. Sephora Brand Lash Stretcher. I absolutely LOVE this mascara. I would give this 5 gold stars because it is amazing, and it is cheap! It last long and you never need more than 2 coats. 2 coats? What? No one uses 2 coats? If you want long lashes, you better use more than 2 coats, but I recommend 3 for safety. You should buy this immediately, and you can get it here.
There are a lot of drugstore brand mascaras I recommend as well, but I find that Sephora has the best tools and their end-caps with “best sellers” is always a go-to. Here is what it all boils down to, find something you love about yourself and embrace it.
The “Journey to Thirty” is not something that is always pleasurable. I mean, sometimes I feel fat and ugly and horribly unsexy, but other times, I feel gorgeous and sexy and I am certain that my eyelashes always contribute to those feelings. I love my eyelashes and I wouldn’t be me without them.
So here’s to your Journey to Thirty. You should celebrate your eyelashes. If you don’t have any, find some. There are mascaras for volume, length, color, wear and you are bound to find a mascara to match every mood on your Journey to 30.